Sunday, February 15, 2009

Buchanan rejects talk of coaching England




Former Australian coach John Buchanan has said he is unlikely to take on the job of England coach.Hugh Morris, managing director of England cricket, hinted this week that Buchanan could be targeted to take over from interim coach, Andy Flower, after England's tour of the West Indies. England is looking for a new full-time coach following the sacking of Peter Moores last month. "It is very flattering of the ECB, through Hugh Morris, to suggest my name as a possibility for a role with English cricket," Buchanan said. "I am always open to the prospect of being engaged in this capacity.” "At this point though, I have had no formal communication from the ECB.” "It is extremely unlikely for me to accept a fulltime coaching role with the English cricket team for a number of reasons.” "I finished the coaching role with CA (Cricket Australia) because I believe in a shelf life for coaches, and in my opinion, I had reached mine by the completion of the World Cup in 2007.” "I am not sure I could travel that road again, and indeed with another country." During Buchanan's tenure, the Australian cricket team posted a number of world records including the highest number of consecutive Test wins (16), the longest number of consecutive wins in World Cup (11) and the highest winning percentage in Test and one-day internationals of any coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment